Free Knitting Pattern Flashback: August 28, 2012
Earflap Hat Knitting Pattern
This hat was one of my first original free knitting pattern designs. It is knit in single rib stitch with pick up stitches to add the earflaps. The ties are made from 3 braided i-cords. The hat is finished with a border and home-made pom-poms on the top and tails. (Learn how to make a pom-pom with Vickie Howell here).
I haven't made an earflap hat from this knitting pattern in awhile...may have to add one in my Ravelry queue. I remember it as a fun knit. I enjoyed experimenting with fun color combinations (see more pics below). As always, I would love to see your finished products! I hope you enjoy the free knitting pattern. Happy Earflap Hat Knitting!
18 sts and 24 rows per 4 inches
- Impeccable Yarn - 1 skein mc, 1 skein cc
- US size 7, 24 inch circular needles
- 5 US size 7 dpn
- Cast on 104 stitches.
- Knit in 1 x 1 rib for 28 rounds.
- Begin decrease. *K k2tog. K11 skspk2tog.* Repeat across round.
- Dec. Round 2: *K10, K2tog* repeat across round.
- Continue decrease as established for 9 more rounds, switching to dpn when needed.
- Next three rounds: k2tog around.
- Last round: k2tog, cut yarn tail and pull through loop.
How to Add Earflaps and Braided I-cords
- Using 2 dpn, pick up and k 29 sts. on each side of hat. (Use start tail as a center point on one side of hat. Start and end pick up on a purl stitch.)
- K two rows in rib.
- Begin dec. Row 1: Skspk2tog, k in rib to last two sts., k2tog.
- Row 2: P2tog, k in rib to end, p2tog.
- Repeat rows 1 and 2 three times.
- Repeat row 1 one more time. (9 sts.)
- K two rows in rib.
- Separate first 3 sts., k into an I-cord 50 sts. long (using contrast color). Knit 3 middle stitches into an I-cord (using main color). Knit final 3 sts. into an I-cord (using the contrast color).
- Braid and sew ends together. Make and attach a small pom-pom.
How to Add Earflap Hat Border
- Pick up the sts. on front side of hat, from flap to flap. (Number does not have to be exact, but make sure it is the same on the front and back.)
- Knit one row (or three, if desired) in garter st.
- Next row: Knit and bind off.
- Repeat for back of hat.
Finishing Your Earflap Hat:Sew in all loose ends.
- dpn - double pointed needles
- k - knit
- p - purl
- k2tog - knit 2 together
- skspk2tog - slip one as if to knit, slip one as if to purl, knit the two together. (This stitch keeps the knit stitch in front to maintain the ribbed look.)