Free Knitting Pattern - Checkers Board
(Gauge on package is 17 sts and 23 rows to 4 inches with size 8 needles.)
Checkers Board Knitting Pattern:
1. Using mc, cast on 50 stitches.
2. K7 mc, k6cc, *k6 mc, k6 cc,* repeat once, k6 mc, k7 cc.
3. P7 cc, p6 mc, *p6 cc, p6 mc,* repeat once, p6 cc, p7 mc.
4. Repeat rows 2 and 3 three times.
5. Switch color positions. Knit in cc over mc and in mc over cc. Knit in SS for 4 rows.
6. Switch colors every 5th row six more times. (You will have 8 rows of squares.)
7. Bind off in blue.
Checkers Board Borders
1. With wrong side facing, pick up 49 stitches across top of work.
2. P 1 row.
3. K 5 rows.
4. Bind off.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 at the bottom of the work.
6. With wrong side facing, pick up 48 stitches on the side of work, (including 4 per edge at top and bottom borders). P 1 row. K 5 rows. Bind off.
Checkers Board Backing:
1. Cast on 50 stitches.
2. Knit in SS for 76 rows.
3. Bind off.
- Tuck in loose ends. Sew backing to the board.
- Find some draughts (or buttons) and play! (I used recycled game pieces for mine.)
ss: stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl the next, repeat)
mc: main color
cc: contrast color