Free Knitting Pattern: Newborn Hat
Knit Flat with Seam(Print Now)
Puerperium Cardigan pattern is available for free on ravelry.
Of course, once I had completed the sweater, I realized my little guy would need a matching hat. So, I wrote this simple pattern to be completed on straight needles (or knit flat with circulars…my favorite!).
Happy Newborn Knitting!
Yarn: 1 skein Cascade 220 Superwash Sport wool yarn (or yarn with same gauge)
Needles: 1 pair US size 5, 1 pair US size 3
Gauge: 22 sts/4 in. – SS
Newborn Hat Knitting Pattern
- CO 68 sts., using size 3 needles.
- K garter stitch 6 rows.
- Change to size 5 needles. K SS until work measures 4 in., starting with a purl row.
- *K6, k2tog, PM, K7, k2tog, PM.* Repeat * to * across row. (Obviously, no marker needed on the last set.)
- P2tog, *P to marker, slip marker, p2tog.* Repeat * to * across row.
- *K to 2 before marker, k2tog.* Repeat * to * across row to last 2 sts., k2tog.
- Repeat rows 5 and 6 until 12 sts. remain.
- P2tog across, removing markers.
- K2tog across.
- Loop yarn through the last 3 sts to bind off.
- Sew up sides.
- Tuck in ends.
SS: Stockinette Stitch – K one row, purl the next. Repeat.
CO: Cast on
Garter Stitch: Knit every row.
K2tog: Knit two stitches together to decrease by one stitch.
PM: Place Marker
P2tog: Purl two stitches together to decrease by one stitch.